1. which team has won DLF Indian Premiere League champions for the second time in a row at the MA Chidambaram stadium in Chennai ?
Chennai Super Kings,
Chennai Super Kings beat Royal Challengers Bangalore by 58 runs, Bangalore could make only 147 runs in reply of Chennai’s huge total of 205 runs. Earlier a record 159-run
partnership between openers Murali Vijay (95, 52b, 6 x 6, 4 x 4) and Michael Hussey (63, 54b, 3 x 6, 3 x 4) powered the Chennai Super Kings to 205 for five in 20 overs against the Royal Challengers Bangalore.
2. The alleged mastermind of the 2002 Bali bombings who has been arrested in Pakistan recently?
Patek is one of the main suspects in the 2002 Bali bombings that left 202 people dead, including 88 Australians and 114 others.
3. British detective writer, best known to fans of the genre as the creator of Inspector Ghote of the Mumbai CID, who has died at the age of 84?
He introduced the character “Ghote” in his 1964 novel The Perfect Murder. Inspector Ganesh Ghote is an inspector in the Mumbai Police who appeared in twenty-four novels.
4. Alleged underworld gangster and former independent MLA, popularly known as ”Godmother”, died of a heart attack in Porbandar?
She was elected on the Janata Dal ticket from the Kutiyana constituency in Porbandar district. She took over the underworld after the murder of her husband, Sarman Munja, was also a MLA for one term in the early Nineties. She was alleged to be behind the murder of 14 people who, she believed were responsible for her husband’s murder.
5. The world’s most wanted terrorist, was killed early by US special forces in a helicopter-borne operation at Abbottabad near the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, climaxing a over 10-year long massive manhunt. Name of that Terrorist ?
– Osama bin Laden
6. Who takes over as Chairman of Infosys ?
7. Recently which country has release Postal stamp on Rabindranath Tagore ?
The government of Sri Lanka will release on May 7, a postal stamp and first day cover on Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore, on the occasion of his 150th birth anniversary celebrations.
8. Recently ISRO develops India’s fastest supercomputer, Name of that Supercomputer?
9. Who has been elected as the new Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh ?
After the official confirmation on Dorjee Khandu’s death, Congress did not take time to assign Khandu’s successor for his job. In a core party meeting, Jarbom Gamlin has been elected as the new Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. Gamlin was sworn as the new CM on May 5.
10. Which pair won the Miami Sony Ericsson Open Doubles title beating Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor in final?
Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi.
With this win, they became number one in the ATP World Tour Doubles Team Rankings.
11. Who is the new Prime Minister of Syria?
He previously served as Minister of Agriculture and Agrarian Reform from 2003 to 2011.
12. Name of the Chinese painting which sold for record 10 million dollars at an auction in Hong Kong recently?
“Forever Lasting Love”.
The painting, by Zhang Xiaogang, features three scenes of semi-naked figures in a sparse desert-like background surrounded by symbolic images.
13. Who defeated Rafael Nadal to win the Sony Ericsson Open Tennis Title held in Miami?
14. Who has been appointed as Chairman and Managing Director of the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)?
15. Who has been awarded the 20th Saraswati Samman for 2010?
S. L. Bhyrappa.
Kannada writer S. L. Bhyrappa was chosen for the prestigious Saraswati Samman for his novel Mandra. The award, constituted by the K. K. Birla Foundation, consists of Rs.7.50 lakh, a citation and a plaque. He has so far published 22 novels, the first being Bheemakaya in 1959 and the latest Aavarana in 2007. The first recipient of Saraswati Samman award was Harivansh Rai Bachchan in 1991 for his autobiography.
16. Popular South Indian actress who died of a cardiac arrest on 6 April 2011 after undergoing treatment for a heart ailment at her residence in Chennai?
Sujatha was introduced to the Tamil film industry by veteran director K. Balachander as a protagonist in “Aval Oru Thodar Kathai” (1974). She won Kalaimamani award from the Government of Tamil Nadu. She got Nandi Award for Pelli in 1998.
17. Indian prisoner who has been released on April 7,2011 after spending 27 years in prison in Pakistan on spying charges?
He was set free after Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari remitted his sentence on humanitarian grounds following an appeal by the Indian Supreme Court.
18. Prominent Kashmiri religious leader, a trenchant critic of last year’s stone throwing youngsters, who was killed on April 8, 2011, in a powerful bomb explosion outside a mosque?
Maulana Showkat Shah.
He is a leader of the Jamiat-e-Ahilhadith which is a highly puritanical group of Muslims closer to the Wahabi school of thought in Saudi Arabia.
19. Who has taken over as the new chairman of State Bank of India, the country’s top lender?
Chaudhuri was the deputy managing director in the international banking division of the bank.
20. Indian Ambassador to Ivory Coast, who was evacuated from her residence on 08-04-2011 by United Nations and French forces in capital Abidjan in the wake of heavy fighting?
21. Red Bull driver who won the Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix title-2011?
22. Who is Winner of the Man Booker International 2011?
23. Man of the Match winners of Three ODI cricket Series played between Australia and Bangladesh held in Bangladesh in April 2011.
Man of the Match of First ODI played at Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur on 09-04-2011:
Michael Clarke (Australia). He scored 101 runs.
Result: Australia beat Bangladesh by 60 runs.
Man of the Match of Second ODI played at Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur on 11-04-2011:
Shane Watson (Australia). He scored unbeaten 185 runs and took one wicket.
Result: Australia beat Bangladesh by 9 wickets.
Man of the Match of Third ODI played at Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur on 13-04-2011:
Michael Hussey (Australia). He scored 108 runs.
Result: Australia beat Bangladesh by 66 runs
Series Result: Australia wins the 3 ODI series 3-0.
24. Who won the Player of the series award in the three ODI cricket Series played between Australia and Bangladesh held in Bangladesh in April 2011?
Shane Watson (Australia).
25. who has been chosen for the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru Award for International Understanding for 2009 for her enormous efforts toward sustainable and equitable development ?
German Chancellor Angela Merkel
26. Who has been broken his own record for most climbs of Mount Everest by scaling the world’s tallest peak for the 21st time?
-Nepalese guide Sherpa
27. On 5 April 2011, an Indian social activist started a ‘fast unto death’ to exert pressure on the government of India to enact a strong anti-corruption act as envisaged in the Jan Lokpal Bill, a law to establish a Lokpal (ombudsman) with the power to deal with corruption in public offices. Name of that social activist?
His real name is Kisan Baburao Hazare. His fast led to nationwide protests in support of Hazare. The fast ended on 9 April 2011, the day after all of Hazare’s demands were agreed by the government of India.
28. Wisden, regarded as the Bible of cricket, has named which Cricket Player as the leading cricketer in the world for the year 2010?
Sachin Tendulkar, Indian batting maestro.
He became the seventh recipient of the Wisden award after teammate Virender Sehwag, Australians Ricky Ponting and Shane Warne, England’s Andrew Flintoff, Sri Lanka’s Muttiah Muralitharan and South African Jacques Kallis.
29. The 2011 BRICS summit took place in?
Sanya on the island of Hainan, China, on 14 April 2011.
Member countries of BRICS are Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. This was the third BRICS summit since 2009. Following a meeting in Brasilia in 2010, to which South Africa was invited as a guest, the group invited South Africa to join as a full member in 2011 and the group formerly called BRIC officially became BRICS.
The 2012 BRICS summit will be held in India.
30. Chief of Blackberry who ordered a BBC reporter to end an interview after he was asked about his problems with India and Middle Eastern countries over security issues?
31. Who is appointed as the Commander-in Chief of the Mumbai-based Western Naval Command?
Vice Admiral D K Joshi.
32. Which countries signed seven pacts on April 16, 2011, including a framework agreement in civil nuclear field and a stake-sharing accord in oil sector?
India and Kazakhstan
The pacts including a civil nuclear agreement and one between state oil companies that gives an Indian firm 25 percent stake in the Satpayev oil block in the Caspian Sea.
Other agreements signed by the two countries are:
* Inter-governmental pact on peaceful uses of atomic energy
* Joint action plan for furthering strategic ties
* Cyber security cooperation
* Mutual legal assistance treaty
* Cooperation in agricultural fields.
33. The world’s certified oldest man who has passed away aged 114 in U.S.A on April 14, 2011?
He is currently the oldest person who has died in 2011. He was born in Melrose, Minnesota in September 21, 1896. Breuning was 26 days younger than Besse Cooper of Georgia, USA, whom the Gerontology Research Group in Los Angeles lists as the world’s oldest person at 114.
34. A court in Chile has recently ordered the exhumation of the remains of former president as part of an investigation into the cause of his death in 1973. Name of that former president?
Investigators are trying to determine whether Allende killed himself, or was killed by soldiers in the 1973 coup that brought Augusto Pinochet to power. An official post mortem report found he committed suicide using a rifle given to him by his friend, Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
35. Who has been awarded the Sydney Peace Foundation’s Gold Medal for “exceptional courage in the pursuit of human rights” ?
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
36. The European Parliament (EP) recently passed two declarations against an Asian country condemning it for its support to Taliban and instructed the European Commission to re-evaluate the size of financial packages provided to them to eradicate terrorists from its soil. Name of that country?
37. Who won his seventh straight Monte Carlo Masters title (2011)by beating David Ferrer 6-4, 7-5 in the final?
38. Who was named ] captain of Sri Lankan Cricket Team in all three formats of the game for next month’s tour of England , following Kumar Sangakkara’s resignation after the World Cup?
39. Which Bollywood film has won the best feature film award at the Geneva International Film Festival- 2011?
`The desire- A Journey of a woman’. The film is directed by noted director R Sarath.
40. One person was killed in police firing and several were injured as the protest against a new proposed 9900 MW nuclear power plant in Maharashtra turned violent on April 18, 2011. Name of that nuclear project?
Jaitapur Nuclear Power Project
It is the project of Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCIL) at Madban village of Ratnagiri district in Maharashtra. It will be the largest nuclear power generating station in the world by net electrical power rating once completed.
41. The former communist revolutionary and Cuban political leader who confirmed that he had resigned from the top leadership of the Cuba Communist Party in an article published on April 19, 2011?
He served as the First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba from the party’s foundation in 1961 until 2011.
42. Who has become the fourth person of Indian origin to bag the prestigious Pulitzer Prize 2011 in the general non-fiction category for his acclaimed book on cancer, ‘The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.’?
India-born Mukherjee is an assistant professor of medicine at Columbia University and a staff cancer physician at Columbia University Medical Centre.
43. Name of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle launched by ISRO on April20,2011 which carries 3 satellites including India’s latest remote sensing satellite ‘Resourcesat-2’
The rocket was launched from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota.
The three satellites are Indian satellite RESOURCESAT-2 (1206kg), Indo-Russian joint satellite YOUTHSAT (92kg) and the first satellite of Singapore X-SAT (106kg). Resourcesat-2 will help in facilitating a variety of applications including natural resource monitoring, environmental assessments and disaster management related activities.
44. Which country recently announced to lift 44-year-old emergency from the country that was imposed in 1968?
Syria was under Emergency Law from 1962–2011. Syria’s government passed a draft law on Tuesday to lift 48 years of emergency rule on April 19, 2011.
45. Name of the US serviceman suspected of passing classified information to the whistle-blower website WikiLeaks, who is being transferred to a new prison by Pentagon recently?
46. The inaugural AIBA Women’s Junior and Youth World Boxing Championships held in?
47. Which film has won the Golden Palm award 2011 at the Mexico International Film Festival (May 20 and 21, 2011)?
The film is directed by Biju Viswanath, the filmmaker from Kerala.
48. Who is appointed as the Chairperson of the National Commission for Women (NCW) ?
49. 25-year-old Nigeria international defender who has died in a car accident on April 18,2011 when he was driving to Thessaloniki Airport to return to Nigeria to finalise plans for his upcoming wedding?
50. Name of the two award-winning photographers who have been killed while covering the conflict in the Libyan city of Misrata?
Briton Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros.
Tim got nominated for the prestigious Oscar award this year for one of his documentary that he had co-directed with a journalist named Sebastian Junger, it was the documentary Restrepo. Chris was the master of war photography and his work has appeared in the New York Times, Economist and several other media papers, he had also been nominated for the Pulitzer-Prize.
Current affairs 2011 for All Competitive exams | Current Affairs May 2011 quiz | gk questions | current affairs for civil services | General knowledge