1. India’s first “sea bridge” which was officially opened in Mumbai, which is 5.6-kilometre (3.5-mile) long covers from?
Bandra to Worli Sea
It is hoped that the 16.5-billion-rupee (340-million-dollar) eight-lane freeway will help cut the 40-minute journey between the suburbs of Bandra and Worli to just eight minutes and will ease chronic congestion on the city’s notoriously choked roads. Sea Link was inaugurated by the ruling Congress party Chief Sonia Gandhi and named after her late husband and former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
2. The only known survivor of the crash of the Yemeni airliner clung to wreckage in the Indian Ocean carrying 153 people (142 passengers, 11 crew members)?
Baya Bakari, 13.year old girl
3. The Commission probing the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya which submitted its report to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh recently?
4. India’s ambassador to China, who is appointed as the next foreign secretary of India ?
5. Former England cricket captain who retired from all forms of professional cricket recently?
6. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has recently invited a musician from India to join its roster of voting members. (i.e. Oscar Academy Membership). Name that musician?
7. Confederations Cup champions who ousted Spain from the first place at FIFA world Football ranking, after one year of leadership?
8. Veteran Japanese diplomat who was elected as new director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)?
9. The state of USA which was declared a fiscal emergency recently as the Legislature continued struggling with a budget for the cash-strapped state?
10. Air Marshal of Southern Air Command chief, who has been appointed as Honorary Air aide de camp (ADC) to President Pratibha Patel?
11. Famous Indian painter whose one painting was auctioned for a record $2 million at Christie’s in June 2008 passed away recently due to a cardiac ailment?
12. Prime minister of Croatia and leader of the centre-right Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) who resigned recently?
13. Who won the Wimbledon Women’s Singles title 2009 after defeating Venus Williams in the final?
14. Who has taken charge as the new Secretary of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) from July 6, 2009.
15. Who won the Wimbledon Men’s Singles title 2009 after defeating Andy Roddick in the final?
Roger Federer. He becomes the first man to win 15 grand slams, and to regain the world No 1 ranking.
16. Who won Wimbledon Women’s doubles title 2009?
Venus Williams and Serena Williams. They beat Samantha Stosur and Rennae Stubbs of Australia
17. Who won Wimbledon men’s doubles title 2009?
Daniel Nestor of Canada and Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia won Wimbledon men’s doubles title 2009. They beat top-seeded American twins Bob and Mike Bryan in the final.
18. The Organisation of American States (OAS) recently expelled a country in reaction to last week’s military coup that ousted its President Manuel Zelaya. Which is that country?
19. American court has recently banned publication of a Swedish book promoted as a sequel to JD Salinger’s “The Catcher in the Rye”. ? Name that book and its author?
“60 Years Later: Coming through the Rye” written by Fredrik Colting
20. Who became the first woman Prime Minister of Croatia?
21. The person who served as US defence secretary during the Vietnam War and the Cuban Missile Crisis, has died recently at the age of 93?
22. Who won the mixed doubles titles at Wimbledon 2009?
Mark Knowles of the Bahamas and Anna-Lena Groenefeld of Germany.
They beat top-seeded Leander Paes of India and Cara Black of Zimbabwe 7-5, 6-3, in the final.
23. Pakistan Cricket player and one of its cricketing pioneers, who bowled the first delivery and took the first wicket in the country’s inaugural Test match died recently after battling prostate cancer?
24. Who is appointed as Director (Projects) of GAIL India?
Mr R D Goyal
25. French Tennis Player, who was banned by ATP Tour for betting on matches, found dead in stairwell of his Paris apartment ?
26. City of Australia which has decided to ban the sale and use of bottled water to act for the preservation of the environment?
27. Player of Manchester United’s who has joined Real Madrid for $70 million?
28. Versatile Actor who was inducted into the Territorial Army as Honorary Lieutenant Colonel.
This Malayalam Superstar has won four national awards and the second recent high-profile personality after Kapil Dev to don the Territorial Army uniform.
Lt Col Mohan Lal will be working with the Kerala based 122 Infantry Battalion of the Territorial Army (TA).
29. Name the first pilot from Kerala of the Royal Air Force (Later Indian Air Force) and the First Head Of Training Team of The Indian National Defence Academy who died recently?
30. Fifteen-year-old girl of Toronto who broke the world record in the women’s 50-metre breaststroke at the world championships swimming trials?
31. Who sets new world record in 100 meter backstroke and first ever to go under 52 sec (51.94 seconds) at the U.S. national championships.
32. Global fast food Company which has apologized to Hindus for running an advertisement in Spain that showed an Indian goddess Lakshmi about to eat a beef burger?
33. Who is elected as president of Indonesia for the second term?
Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
34. Former Australian coach John Buchanan has criticized some of the present and former Indian cricket stars like Sourav Ganguly, Yuvraj Singh, Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar and Harbhajan Singh in his recently-published book. Name of that book.
“The Future of Cricket: The Rise of Twenty20.”
35. The Cricket Team which have boycotted the series against Bangladesh because of an outstanding contractual dispute with its Cricket board?
West Indies Cricket Team
36. Who will remain captain of the German national team for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa?
37. Who sets new world record in 100 meter butterfly at the U.S. national championships in 50.22 seconds, lowering Ian Crocker’s mark of 50.40 set at the 2005 world championships in Montreal?
38. Which country finished at the first position at the 5th South Asian Shooting Championship bagging 21 gold medals out of 24 gold medals?
39. Player turned coach who has been named the India under-16 football coach for the Asian qualifiers to be held in Abu Dhabi in October 2009.
40. The world’s most famous bell ringing out the hours on the world’s most famous clock, celebrated its 150th anniversary on July 11, 2009 in London?
41. The former boxing champion and one of the most amazing boxer of his generation, who has been found dead in a Brazilian hotel room recently?
42. Who sets new world record in 200 meter backstroke at the U.S. national championships?
43. Indian Squash player who won the third WISPA title of her career when she defeated home favourite Low Wee Wern in the final of the $ 16,000 NSC series event on Saturday in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia
44. Who wins Newport Hall of Fame Tennis championships ATP Title?
45. Renowned Marathi actor to win Maharashtra government’s best actor award consecutively for three years, died recently in Pune after prolonged illness?
46. A distinguished conductor and his wife have recently died at the Dignitas suicide clinic in Switzerland. He was conductor emeritus of the BBC Philharmonic among many other great achievements, and Lady Downes, 74, was a former ballet dancer and choreographer. Who are they?
Sir Edward Downes and Joan
47. Second cricket test between Srilanka and Pakistan at Colombo won by?
Man of the match: Fawad Alam
Sri Lanka won the first test match on the last day of the match.
48. Former prime minister of Poland and European Parliament member since 2004, who has been elected president of the European Parliament?
49. Who is appointed as the new defence secretary of India?
50. First test between West Indies and Bangladesh held in July is won by?
51. Indian Scientist and National Research Professor at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research who has been nominated for the prestigious Royal Medal by the Royal Society, London.
Prof. C.N.R. Rao,
52. England all-rounder who decided to retire from test cricket after the ashes series against Australia?
53. Who has become the first Indian batsman in over four years to head the batting rankings in test matches by ICC?
54. Canadian comedian of Indian parents, came from Kolkatta, who has been ranked among the Top 10 Earning Comedians in the world by Forbes?
55. Carnatic music exponent and film playback singer in many Indian languages, popularly referred as one of the “female trinity of Carnatic music” who passed away at the age of 90?
Damal Krishnaswamy Pattammal (D.K.Pattammal)
56. Chairman of the Iranian Atomic Energy Organization who resigned from his post?
Gholam Reza Aghazadeh
57. The space shuttle of NASA descended safely to Earth, ending a successful 16-day assembly mission to the international space station ?
58. Summit of the Non-Allied Movement in 2012 will take place in?
59. Former India cricket captain who has been awarded an Honorary Fellowship by the University of Lancashire.
60. Name the club of Argentina which won the Libertadores Cup beating Brazil’s Cruzeiro by two goals to one?
61. The Middlesex University in Hendon, London, has conferred an Indian music director with an honorary doctorate. Who is he?
62. Name the 112th element which has been officially added to the Periodic Table, earlier named as Ununbium?
The element with symbol “Cp” is named in honor of astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus. This name is expected to be officially endorsed by IUPAC in January 2010, after six months for discussion.
63. Lt Governor of the Union Territory of Puducherry?
64. New Governors of States of India
Uttar Pradesh-B.L. Joshi
Gujarat-Devendra Nath Dwivedi
Assam-Jharkhand Syed Sibtey Razi
Uttrakhand- Margaret Alva
65. “The most trusted man in America,” who was the pioneering television news anchor died recently at the age of 92?
66. First World War veteran who became the world’s oldest man last month died at the age of 113.
67. Srilankan bowler who retired from test cricket after the test match against Pakistan?
68. Womens hockey champions trophy won by?
Argentina. They beat Australia (4-3) in the final
69. India agreed to enter into an understanding on end-use monitoring agreement recently with a country that will pave the way for greater defence cooperation. Which country?
United States of America
70. Second test of Ashes held at Lord’s won by?
England. This is for the first time in 75 years that England has won the Ashes at Lord’s. They beat Australia by 115 runs in the second Test
Man of the Match: Andrew Flintoff (five wickets for 92 runs)
71. The solar eclipse witnessed on the month of July 2009 was the longest total solar eclipse during the 21st century, not to be surpassed until June 2132. It lasted a maximum of 6 minutes and 39 seconds off the coast of Southeast Asia, causing tourist interest in eastern China, Japan, India and Nepal. Which day it witnessed?
July 22, 2009
72. The second Indian archer to win a Youth World Championship title after bagging gold in the girls’ Cadet Recurve category in the 11th edition of the tournament at Ogden (Utah), USA?
73. The Airlines apologized for frisking former Indian President Abdul Kalam at the Indira Gandhi International Airport when he was going on a visit to the US this April?
Continental Airlines of U.S.A
74. Hindustani music legend who mesmerized audiences with her melodious voice for over six decades, died recently?
75. Test Cricket Series between West Indies and Bangladesh won by ?
Man of the Match: Shakib Al Hasan
76. Who was awarded the Mahatma Gandhi International Award for Reconciliation and Peace?
Aung San Suu Kyi, the Myanmarese pro-democracy activist and leader,
77. Who becomes the first ever black Miss England?
78. Former Peruvian president who was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison on corruption charges.
79. Who is named as new LTTE chief?
80. Who became the youngest player (12 years old) ever to play in professional football when he came on as a substitute for Aurora in a Bolivian Clausura championship match?
81. Who becomes the highest ever Australian run scorer in first class cricket surpassing the record of the legendary Sir Donald Bradman?
82. Two piano works recently have been identified as the creation of a legendary musician which has long been in the possession of the International Mozarteum Foundation in the Austrian city of Salzburg. Name that musician?
Mozart (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.)
83. Newly elected President of Kyrgyzstan?
84. Which country has won the team tech gold medal in synchronized swimming at the world championships?
Russia has won both gold medals in synchro at the last three Olympics.
85. Test Cricket series between Srilanka and Pakistan held is won by?
Sri Lanka won the series by 2-0.
Man of the series:Nuvan Kulasekhara
Man of the match of third test: Kumar Sangakkara. Third Test ended in a draw.
86. Who received the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2007?
Bill Gates, on behalf of “Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation” for their exemplary philanthropic work across the world and in India especially in the area of health.
87. One of the world’s largest optical telescopes, installed on a mountain in the Canary Islands, which is extremely powerful and will be able to spot some of the faintest, most distant objects in the Universe?
Great Canary Telescope
With a main mirror 10.4 metre across, it will effectively be the largest telescope for visible and infrared light in the world.
88. India’s first nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine at the naval dockyard, Visakhapatnam which is launched by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his wife Gursharan Kaur on July 26,2009?
89. Eminent music director and sitarist composed the musical scores for about 40 films in Hindi, Marathi, and Malayalam who blended Indian classical and Western music in his work, was a disciple of Pandit Ravi Shankar died at the age of 73?
90. Who won ITF Lexington Challenger Tennis title?
91. Which country won CONCACAF Gold Cup Football title beating U.S.A (5-0) in the final?
92. Who has been awarded the 2009 Amnesty International Ambassador of Conscience award?
Aung San Suu Kyi
93. Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister who resigned after a senior PDP leader alleged in the state assembly that he was involved in the 2006 sex scandal, a charge dismissed by him as false?
94. Who win gold in the women’s 200 metres individual medley at the World Championships?
95. Who won women’s 100 metres butterfly final at the world swimming championships?
96. Veteran Malayalam actor, who won critical acclaim for the ease with which he portrayed villainous roles in Malayalam and Tamil cinema died at the age of 55?
97. Charismatic Jaipur royal, a three-time MP and who was once named as ”World’’s Ten Most Beautiful Women” by ”Vogue” magazine, died here today following a prolonged illness.?
Rajmata Gayatri Devi
98. Sports Awards 2009:
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna:
M.C. Marykom (boxer),
Vijender Kumar (boxer)
Sushil Kumar (wrestling)
Mangal Singh Champia (archery), Sinimol Paulose (athletics), Saina Nehwal (badminton), L. Saritha Devi (boxing), Tania Sachdeva (chess), Gautam Gambhir (cricket), Ignatius Tirkey (hockey), Surinder Kaur (hockey), Pankaj Shirsat (kabaddi), B. Prabhu (physically challenged), Satish Joshi (rowing), Ranjan Sodhi (shooting), Poulami Ghatak (table tennis), Yogeshwar Dutt (wrestling), G.L. Yadav (yatching)
Baldev Singh (hockey), Jaidev Bisht (boxing), Satpal (wrestling), Pullela Gopichand (badminton) and Udaikumar (kabaddi).
99. One day cricket series between West Indies and Bangladesh won by ?
100. Who won gold in the 200- meter freestyle final at the world swimming championships in Rome?
He won in a world record time of 1 minute, 42 seconds, ahead of previous record-holder Michael Phelps
101. Who is appointed as the captain of 20-20 Team of Pakistan?
Disclaimer: The author claims full ownership of all articles herein but doesn’t claim ownership of all photos posted on this site. If the respective copyright owners wish for their photos to be taken down, feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment and these will be taken down immediately.