1.Which Indian won four gold medals in Commonwealth Games 2010 ?
– Shooter Gagan Narang
2.who is Man of the Series between India – Australia cricket Series recently held in India ?
– Sachin Tendulkar (403) runs in 2 test match.
3. Former Argentine football star and the last surviving player from the first World Cup in 1930, died recently at the age of 100?
4. Name of the new book written by famous Physicist Stephen Hawking in which he says that God did not create the universe, because gravity means it would have happened on its own?
The Grand Design.
5. French scientists recently revealed the secret behind the “best free kick” ever in international football which resulted in a stunning goal against France in 1997. The free kick was taken by a Brazilian Player. Who is he?
Carlos’ free kick from 115ft in the Tournai de France, which seemingly headed for the corner flag but suddenly curved like a banana to land in the net, has been written off by many as only an incredible lucky chance. Even the French goalkeeper Fabien Barthez made no move thinking it would go safely clear. The physicists computed the trajectory and decided it was all down to a phenomenon known as the ‘spinning ball spiral’.
6. The University of Alberta based in Edmonton, Canada will honor an Indian agriculture scientist with an honorary doctorate to recognize his contribution to food security in the world. Name of that Indian Scientist?
M. S. Swaminathan.
7. Who is the first sportsperson who was conferred an Indian Air Force (IAF) Honorary Group Captain?
He is also the first individual to receive the Indian Air Force (IAF) Honorary Group Captain from a non-aviation background. He was taken into the Indian Air Force as the brand ambassador of Indian Air Force by the IAF Air Chief Marshal PV Naik.
8. The 18-year-old fast bowler from Pakistan who is removed from the list of nominees for the ICC’s emerging player of the year 2010 award due to spot-fixing allegations against him?
Another Pakistan bowler Mohammad Asif is also removed from the list of nominees for the ICC’s test player of the year due to spot-fixing allegations against him.
9. Which country approved fresh economic sanctions against Iran on September 3, 2010 after the United Nations asked Tokyo to tighten restrictions against Tehran over its controversial nuclear enrichment program?
10. Name of the 2-year-old Indonesian boy who smoked up to 40 cigarettes a day, recently quit his habit after a month-long rehabilitation?
The child’s parents allowed the boy to smoke because he throws tantrums and hits his head against the wall when they refuse to give him a cigarette. After a month of rehabilitation, Ardi Rizal is now free from his addicting habit. Kak Seto, the psychologist, used childhood play therapy to bring the boy back to health.
11. Name of the 15 year boy who has been offered a place at Britain’s prestigious Cambridge University?
He was educated at home by his father, Neil. He was offered an undergraduate place at Cambridge’s Fitzwilliam College after passing the university’s entrance exam. He would be the youngest Cambridge undergraduate since William Pitt the Younger, who became prime minister, attended at the same age in 1773.
12. Name of the three Pakistan Cricket players who have been suspended by International Cricket Council (ICC) due to Lord’s spot-fixing outrage, under the provisions of the Anti-Corruption Code?
Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif.
13. Name of the apex body constituted by Indian Government for the welfare of tribals in the country?
National Council for Tribal Welfare (NCTW).
NCTW headed by Prime Minister, would have 18 members, including the Ministers of Tribal Affairs; Finance; Agriculture; Home Affairs; Health & Family Welfare; Environment & Forests; Human Resource Development (HRD); Rural Development; Woman and Child Development; Culture; Mines; Coal and Power; the Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission; Chief Ministers of Schedule V and Schedule VI States; two experts to be nominated by the Prime Minister for a period of two years and Secretary, Ministry of Tribal Affairs, as Member Secretary.
14. Who is appointed as India’s 14th Central Vigilance Commissioner?
He is the former secretary of telecom.
15. Eggs and shoes were hurled at Tony Blair (former British Prime Minister) by anti-war activists, in Dublin (Ireland) where he was signing copies of his new book. What is the name of that book?
His autobiography ”A Journey” details his accounts of life in the Downing Street, including the Iraq war and the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
16. The Basque separatist group which has declared a permanent ceasefire in Spain recently?
Eta is blamed for killing more than 800 people in its four-decade fight for independence for the Basque region of northern Spain and south-west France.
17. Name of the cruise missile which was successfully test-fired recently as part of trials by the Indian Army from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur off Orissa coast?
The missile can fly at 2.8 times the speed of sound carrying conventional warheads up to 300 kg for a range of 290 km and can effectively engage ground targets from an altitude as low as 10 metres. Developed in a joint venture with Russia, the sophisticated BrahMos cruise missile is capable of being launched from submarines, ships, aircraft and land based Mobile Autonomous Launchers (MAL).
18. Indian athlete who smashed Shiny Wilson’s 15-year-old national record en route to fifth place in the 800 metres at the Continental Cup athletics meet in Split, Croatia?
19. Pakistan batsman Yasir Hameed, who played with the Pakistan team in the Test series against England, allegedly told a British tabloid newspaper that some of his teammates were cheats. Name of that news paper which came out with the sting operation on Pakistan cricketers?
“News of the World”
20. Indian nuclear scientist and a chemical engineer, who remained the head of Atomic Energy Commission of India during India’s first nuclear test in Pokhran in 1974 died recently at the age of 86?
Homi N. Sethna
Sethna was the director of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) during 1966-72, when the plan for the construction of India’s largest research reactor, Dhruva was conceived.
21. Name of the planned robotic spacecraft by NASA to probe the outer corona of the sun which will approach to within 8.5 solar radii (5.9 million kilometers) to the surface of the sun?
Solar Probe Plus.
With a proposed launch date of 2018, Solar Probe Plus will carry a variety of scientific instruments to measure the solar wind and the Sun’s magnetic field. The space craft will also sport a new carbon-composite heat shield capable of withstanding over 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit. The new shield will protect the probe from both heat and radiation as it makes the closest-ever approach to our Sun.
22. Which country has decided to extend the life spans of the country’s 17 nuclear plants by an average of 12 years while alternative energy sources are developed?
23. About 26 persons were killed in the twin-illicit toddy tragedy (Hooch Tragedy) in a district in Kerala on September 2010. Which is that district?
24. All India trade unions called for general strike on September 7, 2010 against the “anti-people policies of the Indian Government.” On the same day itself, a public sector nationwide general strike took place in a European country to protest the government’s efforts to reform the pension system. Which is that country?
25. Who has been officially declared as the shortest living man by Guinness World Records?
Edward Nino Hernandez (Columbia)
This 24-year old man is only 68.6 cm tall and weighs 10 kg.
26. South Indian actor who died at Chennai on 8th September 2010 due to massive heart attack?
Murali, son of Kannada film director G.Siddalingiah, started his acting career in Kannada films. His first Tamil film was “Poovilangu.” directed by Amirjan. After the success of the film he did “Pagal Nilavu” which was the first Tamil film of director Mani Rathnam. Some of his hit films are “Puthu Vasantham”, “Porkalam”, “Vetri Kodi Kattu”, “Poomani”, “En Asai Machan”, “Anandam” and “Samuthiram.” He got an award from the State government for his acting in director Bharathiraja’s “Kadal Pookkal”.
27. Who is named as the Chairman of Hotel Leela Venture Ltd, an Indian hotel company based in Mumbai?
Dinesh Nair is likely to take over as vice chairman.
The hotel company which has six deluxe hotels, located in Mumbai, Bangalore, Kovalam, Udaipur, Goa and Gurgaon was founded by C. P. Krishnan Nair. Vivek Nair is the eldest son of Captain Nair,
28. Man of the Match winners of 20-20 Cricket series between Pakistan and England held in England.
Man of the match of First 20-20 Cricket International played on 5th September 2010:
Michael Yardy (England). He scored 35 runs (26 balls) and took 1 wicket.
Result: England beat Pakistan by 5 wickets.
Man of the match of Second 20-20 Cricket International played on 7th September 2010:
Tim Bresnan. (England) He took 3 wickets for 10 runs.
Result: England beat Pakistan by 6 wickets.
England won the series 2-0.
29. Which country’s parliament has recently approved constitutional reforms which will enable its President to seek a third term and will give him sweeping powers over formerly independent institutions?
30. The state of U.S.A which has banned foreign outsourcing to countries like India in a wave of protectionism in the economic crisis?
31. One of the most successful woman weightlifters in India who has tested positive a second time in the doping test during the trials for the Delhi Commonwealth Games?
Chanu, who won three gold at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester gets life ban after testing positive during the trials for the Delhi Commonwealth Games. Chanu had earlier tested positive, for a diuretic, at the Athens Olympics in 2004.
32. Legendary veteran film producer from Andhra Pradesh who has been conferred the Dada Saheb Phalke Award for 2009?
Dr. D. Rama Naidu.
The award consists of a Swarna Kamal, a cash prize of Rs. 10 lakhs and a shawl.
33. Malayalam film actor, screenwriter and director who has acted in around 50 films and directed a dozen of Malayalam movies, passed away recently due to kidney-related diseases?
Venu’s first movie as a director was Sukhamo Devi (1986). Later he directed the super hit movies Lal Salam, Aey Auto, Aayirappara etc. Venu has also written scripts for a few movies including the Priyadarshan directed blockbuster movie Kilukkam. His first movie as a script writer was “Ee Ganam Marakkumo”.
34. Bharatiya Janata Party leader who was sworn in as Chief Minister of Jharkhand for the third time at the Raj Bhavan on 11-09-2010?
Hemant Soren and Sudesh Mahto were sworn in as Deputy Chief Ministers.
35. Who won the US Open men’s doubles title-2010 beating India’s Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi of Pakistan in final(7-6 (7-5) 7-6 (7-4) ?
Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan
36. Man of the Match winners of ODI cricket Series (5 matches) between England and Pakistan held in England.
Man of the match of First ODI Cricket played on Sep 10, 2010:
Steve Davies (England). He scored 87 runs (67 balls)
Result: England beat Pakistan by 24 runs
Man of the match of Second ODI Cricket played at Leeds on Sep 12, 2010:
Andrew Strauss (England). He scored 126 runs (134 balls)
Result: England beat Pakistan by 4 wickets.
Man of the match of Third ODI Cricket played at Kennington Oval, London on Sep 17, 2010:
Umar Gul (Pakistan). He took 6 wickets for 42 runs.
Result: Pakistan beat England by 23 runs
Man of the match of Fourth ODI Cricket played at Lord’s, London on Sep 20, 2010:
Abdul Razzaq (Pakistan). He scored 44 runs from 20 balls.
Result: Pakistan beat England by 38 runs.
Man of the match of Fifth ODI Cricket played at Southampton on Sep 22, 2010:
Eoin Morgan (England). He scored 107 runs from 101 balls.
Result: England beat Pakistan by 121 runs.
Series Result: England won the series 3-2.
37. Who won the Player of the Series Award in the ODI cricket series between Pakistan and England held in England?
38. Who became the first Indian wrestler to win a gold medal in the World Wrestling Championship in Moscow by beating Russia’s Gogaev Alan in the final match?
39. On September 5, 2010, the U.S. Postal Service issued a 44-cent stamp commemorating a Roman Catholic nun who served the sick and destitute of India for nearly 50 years. Name of that nun?
The U.S. Postal Service’s Mother Teresa stamp was released on September 5, 2010, the 13th anniversary of Mother Teresa’s death, designed by award-winning artist Thomas Blackshear II. Mother Teresa was made an honorary U.S. citizen in 1996. She founded the Missionaries of Charity in 1950 and won Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.
40. The celebrated French film director and a founding father of the Nouvelle Vague (New Wave) movement who died recently at the age of 80?
Chabrol is best known for 1960s and 70s thrillers such as ‘The Unfaithful Wife’, ‘The Butcher’ and ‘This Man Must Die’.
41. Which country won Women’s Hockey World Cup 2010 defeating Netherlands in final?
Argentina beat Netherlands by 3-1 in the final. Carla Rebecchi scored well in both halves and Noel Barrionuevo converted Argentina’s first penalty corner into goal. England won the third place, defeating Germany by 2-0. India scored ninth position in the women world cup championship.
42. Who won U.S. open 2010 Women singles title defeating Russian Tennis star Vera Zvonareva in straight sets 6-2, 6-1 in final?
She became the first ever woman to clinch the two consecutive title since Venus Williams.
43. Spanish Ferrari driver and two-time world champion who won the Italian Grand Prix (Formula One title)?
This is his third Formula One title of the season.
44. Who has been selected as the Best Indian Footballer of the Year-2010 by the Football Players Association of India?
Muhammed Rafi (Kerala).
Odafe Onyeka Okolie of Nigeria was crowned the best foreign footballer.
Jaoquim Abranches was named to the young player’s award and his coach Armando Colaco was the best coach. National team goalkeeper Subrata Paul, who plays for Pune FC, won the fans’ player award.
45. Which country won their first world championship basketball title since 1994 with a 81-64 victory over Turkey in Istanbul?
It was America’s fourth world crown and comes two years after they won the Olympic title in Beijing.
46. The second round of direct peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority (PA) was held at?
The Red Sea resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh (Egypt) on 14 September, 2010.
47. Who became the 3rd person to complete a Career Golden Slam and the 16th Person to complete the Career Grand Slam with the U.S .Open Men’s title 2010 win?
He won the U.S .Open Men’s title 2010 beating Novak Djokovic in final. Nadal now holds 9 Grand Slam titles winning 5 French Opens, 2 Wimbledons, 1 Australian Open and 1 US Open.
Career Golden Slam Winners: Rafael Nadal, Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf.
Key: Winning all four Grand Slam tournaments during a career is termed a Career Grand Slam, while winning all four Grand Slam tournaments and the Olympic Gold in Tennis during a career is termed as a Career Golden Slam.
48. Who won U.S. Open women’s doubles title defeating American Liezel Huber and Nadia Petrova of Russia (2-6 6-4 7-6) in the final?
Vania King (U.S.A) and Yaroslava Shvedova (Kazakhstan).
49. Voters of which country recently approved constitutional reforms which will help its candidacy for the European Union?
50. Winners of 57th National Film Awards:
National Film Awards-2010 which is presented to the best of Indian Cinema released during the year 2009 was announced on 15th September-2010 Amitabh Bachchan won the award for Best Actor for his outstanding performance in the film “Paa”. This is his third national award. Actress Anannya Chatterjee won the best actress award for her role in the Bengali film “Abohoman”. Malayalam film “Kutty Srank” directed by Shaji. N.Karun won 6 awards.The full list of the Winners at the 57th National Film Awards is given below.
Best Actor – Amitabh Bachchan (Paa)
Best Actress – Ananya Chatterjee (Abohoman)
Best Director – Rituparno Ghosh (Abohoman)
Best Film – Kutty Srank (Malayalam)
Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment – 3 Idiots
Nargis Dutt award for Best Film with Social Message – Delhi-6
Best Children’s Film – Putaani Party (kannada) Keshu(Malayalam)
Best Screen Play: Harikrishnan, PF Mathews(Kutty Srank-Malayalam)
Best Music – Amit Trivedi (Dev D)
Best Playback Singer (Male) – Rupam Islam (Mahanagar)
Best Playback Singer (Female) – Nilanjana Sarkar (Housefull)
Best Background Score – Illayaraja(Film-Pazhassiraja)
Best Lyrics Award – Swanand Kirkere (Behti Hawa Sa -3 Idiots)
Best Supporting Actor – Farooque Sheikh (Lahore)
Best Supporting Actress – Arundhati Naag (Paa)
Best Film on Social Awareness – Well Done Abba
Best Cinematography – Anjali Shukla (Kutty Srank)
Best Choreography – K Shivashankar (Magadheera)
Best Audiography – Resul Pookutty (Pazhassi Raja (film))
Best Special Effects – Kamal Kannan (Magadheera)(Telugu)
Current affairs 2010 for bank exams | Current Affairs September – October 2010 quiz | objective questions | SBI | gk questions | current affairs for civil services | General knowledge| Competitive exams | Bank po|