2. India’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth will make the Indian banking industry third largest in the world by 2025.
3. The report highlighted that banks have to strive for excellence on three dimensions: branch sales and service, new channels and lean operations
4. Indian banks deploy 62 per cent of staff in customer facing roles as against the benchmark of 82 per cent observed by BCG globally.
5. Indian banks, the report mentioned were to be doing well overall with industry cost-income ratio below 50 per cent.
a. 1 & 3
b. Only 3
c. Only 2
d. 3 & 4
2.According to the data released by the Life Insurance Council on 22 August 2011, the life insurance industry witnessed a decline of what percent in its total premium collections for the quarter ended June 2011?
3.According to a study Private Cloud Landscape in India released by EMC Corporation and Zinnov Management Consulting, a management consulting firm in July 2011, what will be the value of the cloud market in India by 2015?
a. $ 4.5 billion
b. $6 billion
c. $ 5.6 billion
d. $ 9 billion
4.Which of the following bodies estimated IT companies would continue to grow globally at 16-18 per cent in 2011-12 despite the economic crisis in the U.S. and European markets?
5. Food inflation rose to what percent for the week ended August 13 on the back of dearer onions, potatoes, fruits and protein-based items?
a. Roger Federer
b. Andy Murray
c. Rafael Nadal
d. Robin Soderling
2.Name the Indian tennis dup who won the doubles title at the ATP’s Cincinnati Masters.
a. Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi
b. Leander Paes and Somdev Devvarman
c. Rohan Bopanna and Somdev Devvarman
d. Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna
3.Which Sri Lankan bowler became the first bowler to take three one-day international hat tricks as Sri Lanka registered a four-wicket consolation win against Australia in the fifth one-day international on 22 August 2011?
a. Lasith Malinga
b. Kumar Sangakkara
c. Upul Tharanga
d. Ajantha Mendis
4.Which of the following Veteran Indian footballers who made his made his debut as a substitute in the 1995 Nehru Cup in Calcutta announced his retirement from international soccer on 24 August 2011?
a. Basudeb Mondal
b. Rennedy Singh
c. Baichung Bhutia
d. IM Vijayan
5.Name the founder member of the Nehru Hockey Society who died on 23 August 2011.
a. Shiv Kumar Verma
b. Kukoo Walia
c. Brig HJS Chimni
d. Amrit Bose
a) Saudi Arabia
Answer: (a) Saudi Arabia
2. North Korea agreed to start international talks on denuclearization of the Korean peninsula. This was agreed during the visit of North Korean leader Kim Jong Ii to__.
d) South Korea
Answer: (a) Russia
3.India, on 24 August 2011 signed (Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement) with which one of the following countries?
b) Sri Lanka
Answer: (a) Georgia
4. Study published by market research firm Gartner projected worldwide business process outsourcing (BPO) market to grow by what percent in the Asia-Pacific during the year 2011?
5.Name the Indian photographer who was declared the ‘Grand Prix’ winner among 60,000 entries in the 33 year old Nikon Photo Contest International.
a. Raghubir Singh
b. Vikram Bawa
c. Ayesha Soni
d. Debarshi Duttagupta
2. He was particularly known for his trenchant observations on institutions in ancient Indian society and his report on the Bihar-Bengal boundary dispute.
3. He was the founding chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) in 1970.
4. He also served as President of the Indian History Congress in 1975
5. He was a recipient of the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru Award in 1989 and was earlier awarded the Campbell Memorial Gold Medal by the Bombay Asiatic Society in 1987.
a. 2 & 3
b. Only 1
c. Only 4
d. Only 2
2.This veteran trade unionist and Communist Party of India-Marxist Politburo member who served the trade union movement as a Secretary of the AITUC in the 1960s and then as one of the key leaders of the CITU of which he became the General Secretary from 1990 to 1999 and then its President till 2010 died on 20 August 2011. Identify him.
a. Madhukar Kashinath Pandhe
b. K Varadarajan
d. Manik Sarkar
3.Which Former Indian No 2 snooker player who was India No.2 in snooker for three years from 1980 passed away on 20 August 2011.
a. Ashok Shandilya
b. Geet Sethi
c. Michael Ferreira
d. Sayed Habib
4.In which one of the following states the Centre has launched an ambitious programme called Himayat?
a) Jammu and Kashmir
c) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: (a) Jammu and Kashmir
5.Which one of the following state governments sanctioned 95 thousand 599 posts of teachers?
a) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: (a) Madhya Pradesh
6.Jharkhand government on 23 August 2011 approved a draft of Right to Service Act 2011. What is the capital of Jharkhand?
Answer: (a) Ranchi
i) El Tor is a highly virulent and deadly form of cholera strain.
ii) It was first discovered in Bangladesh in 2006.
Choose the right option:
a) Both i and ii are correct.
b) Only i is correct.
c) Only ii is correct.
d) Neither i nor ii is correct.
Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct.
2.Scientists discovered a cheap and effective way to prevent transmission of dengue fever. They infected mosquitoes with bacterium that blocks development of the dengue virus. Dengue fever is also known as___.
a) Breakbone Fever
b) Yellow Fever
Answer: (a) Breakbone Fever
3.A group of researchers estimated that __ million species exist on Earth.
Answer: (a) 8.7
4.China Completed a Comprehensive Satellite Study of Brahmaputra and Indus Rivers. The study shows that Indus River is ____ long.
a) 3600 km
b) 3700 km
Answer: (a) 3600 km
5.The Australian and British Geologists found evidence of the oldest known fossils of life on Earth. The sulfur-based microbes they discovered are ___billion years old.
Answer: (a) 3.4